Neck diseases poses various impacts and limits on a patients’ daily life. Herniated cervical is the most common cause of a neck disease. Nanoori Hospital provides both surgical and non-surgical treatments for various neck diseases.
Herniated Cervical Disc
Herniated cervical disc occurs when a gel-like disc in the neck is damaged or presses the nerve roots.
The neck consists of seven vertebrae, and in between each vertebra is a cervical disc. A disc is a gel-like material that cushions and connects the vertebrae and allows neck movement. Herniated cervical disc occurs when a vertebral disc ruptures through a disc wall.
Major symptoms of herniated cervical disc
• Pain in the back of the neck, shoulders, or the arms
• Numbness in a specific area of an arm or the hands
• The fingers become weak or experience partial paresthesia when writing or grabbing an object
• A weakening of the arms
• Legs tremble when walking up and down the stairs
• Feel painful when turning head to the side
Treatment for herniated cervical disc
Herniated cervical disc causes pain or numbness in the neck, shoulders, or arms. If the pain is not severe, non-surgical treatment such as pain medications and physical therapy can alleviate the pain.
However, if a patient experiences severe pain while sleeping or performing daily activities, or pain persists after 6 to 8 weeks of the non-surgical treatments, surgical treatment may be inevitable.
• Microscopic foraminotomy
• Artificial disc replacement
Possible Causes of Neck Pain
• Using a high pillow
• Slouching while working in a desk
• Leaning the neck forward
• Poor posture due to obesity
• Wearing uncomfortable shoes
• Neck injury from an accident
• Resting head on a hand
• Sleeping on a stomach